Climbing Wall Policies
Climbing Wall Policies
- Climbing is permitted ONLY when the wall is open for scheduled recreational climbing or instructional sessions.
- Climbers are expected to observe posted safety protocols and to be respectful and aware of the actions of other climbers.
- Staff members must be present in order to use the climbing wall
- Climbers may only climb one panel to the right and/or one panel to the left of each anchor point
- Never place fingers, hands, or feet on the metal bolt hangers.
- Down climbing (retracing climbing path back down the wall) is not allowed unless you are authorized to do so.
- Call your dynos (lunge moves and jumps); especially if close to the ground (this avoids dangerous rope slack near the climber’s neck).
- Two falls are allowed on a route and then exchange positions if people are waiting.
- No eating or drinking in the climbing wall area except for water bottles.
- Never climb past or unclip the top climbing anchors.
- Do not drop anything while climbing on the wall.
- Climbing commands must be used at all times.
- The belayer must remain standing while the climber is on belay.
- Staff has the right to check your personal climbing equipment for safety concerns.
- Every climber must use a figure eight knot and barrel knot/ safety net.
- Every climber must belay with a WCU’s Grigri. No personal belay devices allowed.
- Participants can bring their own helmet, harness, and shoes, but it is MANDATORY that the monitors inspect their equipment for safety.
- Staff has the right to enforce any additional rules if they feel the situation is unsafe.
- Do not pass between the wall and a belayer when moving about within the area without a belayer's knowledge and consent.
- Personal possessions must be stored outside of the climbing wall area. Day lockers are available. We are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Remove all items from clothing pockets
- Food and beverages are not permitted in the climbing wall area.
- No loose chalk allowed. Chalk Balls only.
- No vibram- 5 finger toes shoes allowed. Tennis Shoes/Climbing Shoes Only
- Bouldering on the main wall is allowed as long as climbers feet stay below the marked line (3 lip edges)
- Climbers are permitted on the main wall only if not being used by other climbers
- No topping out or standing on the bouldering wall.
- Always move the mats/crash pads directly below your fall line; mats must be touching each other.
- Do not, for any reason, put your finger on or in a lead bolt hanger
- Do not boulder under another climber.
- While bouldering; be aware of launching or throwing for a move with other climbers and bystanders near.
- While watching others boulder, please stand out of the way of their fall line.
- Bouldering is not permitted unless supervision is present.
- Shirts must be worn at all times.
- Climbing barefoot is not allowed.
- Only climbing shoes or athletic style shoes must be worn. Boots or sandals are not permitted. -
- Closed toed and closed heel shoes are required.
- Socks MUST be worn with WCU shoes
- All large jewelry, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. must be removed prior to climbing
- Hats must be removed
- Gum, candy, or any type of food-based item is not allowed in the climbers mouth
- Clothing should be comfortable and movement orientated. Loose clothing should be secured (buttoned, zipped, snapped) or removed.
- Hair longer than shoulder length must be secured prior to climbing.
- Helmets are available on a first come – first serve basis.
- Wearing a helmet is up to the discretion of the individual climber.
- If a participant declines to wear a helmet, a wavier is required.
Campus Recreation Climbing Gear
The WCU climbing wall provides climbers with the following items FREE of charge: ID must be taken.
- Climbing shoes
Personal Climbing Gear
Personal climbing gear is permitted on the climbing wall. Personal gear must be to industry spec with no functional modifications and no debilitating wear and tear. Homemade gear will not be allowed. Only the following personal items are allowed:
- Climbing shoes
- Chalk bags
Note: The climbing wall staff has the authority to deem gear inappropriate for use at the climbing wall.
The following personal items are not allowed:
- Belay devices (ATC, grigri)
- Homemade climbing gear
For information regarding private group reservations of the Climbing Wall, please click the link below.
Group Policy for WCU students
Please contact Steve Sassaman, Climbing Wall Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on group visits to the Climbing Wall.