Check the Graduation Application Timeline
- To Graduate in December 2017:
- You can apply online starting Friday, July 1, 2016.
- The DEADLINE to apply is Friday, August 25, 2017.
- To Graduate in May or August 2018:
- You can apply online starting Wednesday, January 4, 2017.
- The DEADLINE to apply is Friday, January 5, 2018.
- To Graduate in December 2018:
- You can apply online starting Saturday, July 1, 2017.
- The DEADLINE to apply is Saturday, August 25, 2018.
Apply for Graduation
- It is important to apply for graduation when you have completed 90 graded credits
so that the Registrar's Office has enough time to review your General Education Requirements.
- Apply online through myWCU: Click on the "Apply for Graduation link" and follow the
- You must apply for AUGUST graduation (not May) if you are taking Summer courses to
complete your degree. August graduates participate in the May ceremony.
- If you have already applied to graduate using myWCU, and you need to change your graduation
term, you can also do this in myWCU. Learn how to Change Your Graduation Term in myWCU .
- Dual majors must apply under each major.
- Be sure to confirm your anticipated graduation date with your advisor. If your graduation
term is not available, go to the Registrar's Office to complete a Late Graduation
- If you apply for graduation late, your name may not appear in the Commencement Booklet.
- Effective August 28, 2017, a one-time graduation fee of $99 will be charged to your
account when you apply for graduation. This graduation fee is an increase from the $89 fee charged to students who applied
for graduation prior August 28, 2017. The fee covers the cap, gown, hood, tassel, charm, diploma and cover and 10 announcements.
- Check your @wcupa.edu email for alerts.
General Education Review
• After a student applies for graduation, a Graduation Analyst reviews only
the General Education requirements. When applying for graduation, students should
reach out to their Academic Advisor or their Department Chairperson regarding outstanding
major and minor requirements.
• Once the general education review is completed, an email is sent to notify the student
that a Graduation note has been placed on their Degree Progress Report regarding their
General Education review.
• If you have any questions or concerns about your General Education requirements,
please feel free to contact a Graduation Analysts at email@example.com
Run Your Degree Progress Report
At least 30 of your last 60 credits must be taken at WCU. At least 50% of the major
and at least 50% of the minor must be taken at WCU. The DPR does not calculate residency
requirements, so they must be checked manually.
- Run your DPR (myWCU) every term and review with your advisor.
- Make sure you have a 300/400 level "Writing Emphasis" Course.
- BIO102/ESS102/ENV102 do NOT count as Science General Education courses. Interdisciplinary
courses can NOT be used in a Distributive General Education area.
- Check "Total Adjusted Credits": you need a minimum of 120. (Image)
- Check minimum GPA and total credit requirement of Major.
- Transfers: Make sure transfer credits are posted.
Timeline for Awarding Degrees
Following the commencement ceremony and/or the last day of your graduation term several
checks occur before you are officially graduated from the University.
- Following the last day of your final semester/graduation term it typically takes 6
days until grades are officially posted to student's records.
- Once grades are posted, each academic department begins the process of reviewing the
records of their graduating major and minor students. Departments must ensure each
student has completed the appropriate requirements for their majors and minors.
- After the academic departments have completed their clearances, the Registrar's Office
completes a final review of each graduating student's general education requirements
and other degree requirements
- After this is complete, the Registrar's Office will confer your degree.
This process may take up to 6 weeks to complete. Once conferred, your degree will
appear on your unofficial transcript within myWCU and on your official transcripts.
It takes another 4-6 weeks for students to receive their West Chester University diploma.
Clear any holds on your record. You will not receive a diploma until all holds are
- Students must pay all parking tickets prior to graduating. The Department of Public Safety has an online service for students to pay their tickets.
Your WCU login and password is required. Pay parking tickets online now.
Graduation Honors Information
Graduation honors are awarded as follows, based on your final transcript:
- Cum Laude: 3.250-3.499
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.500-3.749
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.750-4.000
The honors list for Commencement is based on the GPA from the next-to-last semester
before a student graduates.
Students who do not earn honors until the end of their final semester will have the
honors recorded on their diplomas and final transcripts, where all honors are recorded.
Financial Aid: Final Checks
If you received a Federal Student Loan as part of your financial aid package, you
are required to complete an Exit Interview before you graduate.
Financial Aid will clear your Financial Aid alert on myWCU typically within 24-72
hours of you completing your Exit Counseling.
For questions about Direct Loan Exit Counseling, contact the Financial Aid Office at (610) 436-2627 or
e-mail Financial Aid.
Don't Graduate Without #WCUFinLit
You now have the unique opportunity to enhance your résumé and prepare for life after
graduation by completing a #WCUFinLit Certification in areas such as Personal Finance
and Managing Credit. Please visit the #WCUFinLit web portal to learn more.
If you'd like a one-on-one consultation, please
e-mail the Office of Financial Aid.