Reporting Options

West Chester University strongly encourages prompt reporting of sexual offenses to the police but recognizes that people who experience sexual misconduct have the right to decide whether to file a criminal report with the police, a complaint with the University, an anonymous report, or not report at all.

Here are a few things to know about filing a report:

  • Anyone can file a report whether they are a complainant, witness, or concerned third party. 
  • Complainants have the option to file both a criminal report with the police and a report with the University.
  • A complainant has the right to request a victim advocate to go with them when filing a report with the police or with the University by contacting the Crime Victims' Center of Chester County and requesting a victim advocate (610-692-7273).
  • The intentional filing of a false report will not be tolerated. It is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct to make an intentionally false report of any policy violation, and it may also violate state criminal laws and civil defamation laws.

Amnesty and Reporting

The University recognizes that students who have been drinking and/or using drugs at the time sexual misconduct occurs may be hesitant to report such incidents due to fear of potential consequences for their own conduct. The University strongly encourages students to report incidents of sexual misconduct. A witness to or individual who experiences sexual misconduct, acting in good faith, who discloses any incident of sexual misconduct to University officials or law enforcement will not be sanctioned under the University's Student Code of Conduct for violations of alcohol and/or drug use policies occurring at or near the time of the incident(s) of sexual misconduct.

To file a police report

Those who want to pursue criminal charges against a respondent should contact the Department of Public Safety (610-436-3311), or contact the police in the area where the incident took place. Criminal charges can be filed against any individual alleged to have committed the conduct, including non-WCU members. Criminal charges of sexual misconduct are entirely separate from violations of the Student Code of Conduct, which only applies to WCU students. Filing a formal report with the police is necessary when a complainant would like to initiate a criminal investigation by the police. Anyone who has experienced sexual misconduct may choose to pursue both criminal prosecution and University conduct processes. If the incident occurred off campus, the WCU Public Safety will assist the complainant in filing the complaint in the appropriate jurisdiction.

To file a complaint for Title IX violation/Student Code of Conduct

Sexual misconduct is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972. A Title IX investigation is initiated by submitting a Formal Complaint and is separate from a criminal investigation conducted by the police. Complainants of any form of sex discrimination, sexual misconduct, or gender-based harassment are encouraged to report the incident to the Title IX Coordinator to review all options for resolution.

Lynn Klingensmith, Title IX Coordinator/Director for Equity and Compliance

Sexual misconduct is a violation of the Student Code of Conduct, and as such a complainant may make a conduct complaint against a WCU student(s). The conduct process occurs after a Title IX fact finding investigation. For more information about the student conduct process, please contact:

Christina Brenner, Assistant Dean of Student Conduct


To file an anonymous report

The University strongly encourages those who want to file a report on behalf of themselves or someone else to identify themselves by name, but anonymous reports will be accepted by anyone with knowledge of a sexual misconduct violation.

If you cannot complete the form online please contact Lynn Klingensmith, Title IX Coordinator/Director for Equity and Compliance, Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, 114 W. Rosedale Avenue, West Chester University, West Chester, PA 19383, 610-436-2433 or


Back to top of page.