WCU is Mask Optional
February 28, 2022
A Message from President Fiorentino and the President’s Cabinet:
Dear WCU Community,
Signs continue to indicate that we are emerging from the dire stages of the pandemic. With the CDC’s latest recommendations, public health guidance has changed. The CDC’s new strategy is directing counties to consider the following three measures to assess risk of the virus:
- New Covid-related hospital admissions over the previous week
- The percentage of hospital beds being used by Covid patients
- New Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people over the previous week
The CDC now advises that indoor masking is only necessary in areas experiencing high-risk levels of COVID-19. Please know that Chester County’s risk assessment has dropped from substantial transmission to medium transmission. As such, Chester County will be following the latest CDC guidelines, which indicate that indoor masking is no longer recommended for our area due to its level of transmission.
Effective Monday, February 28, mask wearing is now optional at West Chester University. It is important to note that we are intentionally declaring our University as mask optional, as current conditions allow us to empower each individual to make their own decisions regarding mask usage. Please know that we fully support each person’s choices around whether to wear a mask. As a campus committed to civility toward one another, we expect that everyone will be respectful of individual choices on the matter. We will continue to make masks available at facility entrances and K/N 95 masks available on request.
Masks will, however, be required to be worn in the University’s Student Health Center. As we learn to live with the virus, protocols are subject to change as health conditions warrant.
Please keep the following in mind:
- Students engaged in educational experiences outside of West Chester University will need to comply with requirements outlined and expected by the external facilities.
- As members of the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC), the University continues to comply with all Conference rules, including COVID-19 testing for student athletes who are not fully As such, PSAC athletes continue to be required to test for COVID-19.
- On-campus COVID-19 testing will continue to be offered on a regular basis for all students, faculty and staff who wish to avail themselves of these services. Individuals receiving COVID-19 testing at the Philips Green Room will not be charged.
- Excused COVID-19 related absences from all classes require documentation from the Student Health Center, which can be initiated with this form.
We thank you for your flexibility, patience and understanding throughout this unprecedented time. Our Golden Rams’ collective efforts have enabled West Chester University to remain healthy and safe.