- Spanish Coordinator
- Associate Professor of Languages
- M.A., Ph.D., University of Maryland, College Park
- B.A., Gettysburg College
- Contemporary Latin American Literary, Film, and Cultural Studies
- Critical Theory
- Creative Writing
- Avant-Gardes and Mass Media
- Science Fiction, Post-Apocalyptic Narrative, and Utopian Thought
- Revisions and Re-inscriptions of the Nineteenth Century
- U.S. Latinx Literatures and Cultures
- Gender and Queer Studies
- LNC 503: Cultural Studies
- SPA 556/557 Seminar Topics Included:
- Contemporary Latin America: Politics and Aesthetics since 1959 (Summer 2016)
- Contemporary Latin America: The Avant-Gardes, Then and Now (Summer 2018)
- Latin American Women Writers (Summer 2019)
- The Utopian Impulse in Latin America (Spring 2020)
- Elementary, Intermediate, and Advanced Spanish
- LNC 368: Comparative Cultural Studies
- SPA 315: Advanced Readings
- SPA 321: Cultures of Latin America
- SPA 331: Latin American Narrative
- SPA 456/457: Senior Seminar in Hispanic Literary, Film, and Cultural Studies
General Education and Culture Cluster Courses:
- LNC 100: Discover the World on Film (Humanities)
- LNC 105: Global Science Fiction (Humanities and Writing Emphasis)
- LNC 106: Global Fantasy Fiction (Humanities and Speaking Emphasis)
- ESP 316: Latin American Avant-Gardes and Mass Media (CC, J, I)
- ESP 317: Utopia and the Apocalypse in the Americas (CC, ET, I)
- ESP 324: Latinxs in the United States
- ESP 334: Politics and Economics in Latin American Literature and Film Publications
- ARTELETRA: The Sixties in Latin America and the Politics of Going Unnoticed. Purdue Studies in Romance Literatures, Purdue University Press, 2021.
PUBLICATIONS: BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Deserted Islands for the Nation: Empty Land- and Seascapes in Argentine Films of
the Malvinas/Falkland Islands.” The Film Archipelago: Islands in Latin American Cinema,
edited by Francisco-J. Hernández Adrián and Antonio Gómez, World Cinema Series, Bloomsbury
Press, 2022. 31–54.
- “La ética de exponerse en De miedo en miedo de Armonía Somers.” Invited book chapter
in La escritura de Armonía Somers. Pulsión y riesgo. Ed. María Cristina Dalmagro. Sevilla: Editorial Universidad de Sevilla, 2019.
- “Farmworkers’ Theater,” “Flor y canto,” “Rebozo,” and “Vegigantes.” Celebrating Latino Folklore: An Encyclopedia of Cultural Traditions. Ed. Maria Herrera-Sobek. Santa Barbara, CA: ABC-CLIO/Greenwood P, 2012. 489, 496,
PUBLICATIONS: PEER-REVIEWED ARTICLES
- “Navigating Uncertainty: The Ambiguous Utopias of Le Guin, Gorodischer, and Jemisin.”
Utopian Studies 33.1 (2022): 107–126. Penn State University Press.
- “Byung-Chul Han’s Negativity; or, Restoring Beauty and Rage in Excessively Positive
Times.” Forthcoming in CR: The New Centennial Review 21.3 (2021). Michigan State University
- “Héctor Manjarrez’s Uncertainty; or, Politics without Dogma.” Revista de Estudios
Hispánicos 53.3 (2019): 923–946. Washington University in St. Louis, Johns Hopkins
- “Calvert Casey’s Wasted Narratives.” Revista Hispánica Moderna 70.1 (2017): 19–35. Columbia University, University of Pennsylvania Press.
- “La alegoría errante de la torre-cueva de Juan Filloy.” Revista Iberoamericana 82.254 (Jan-Mar 2016): 213–228. IILI, University of Pittsburgh.
- “Gauchos at the Origins: Lugones, Borges, Filloy.” Variaciones Borges 40 (2015): 133–152. Borges Center, University of Pittsburgh.
- “A Queer Chicana/o Ethics of Representation: Rasquache Camp in the Novels of Rechy
and Luna Lemus.” Aztlán: A Journal of Chicano Studies 39.1 (Spring 2014): 105–132. UCLA, Chicano Studies Research Center.
- “No Worries.” Daily Science Fiction. (Forthcoming 2022)
- “The Bent Greens.” In The World’s Revolution: Gaia Awakens, edited by C. D. Tavenor,
Two Doctors Media Collaborative, 2021. Pp. 93–119.
- “Leiprenese 101.” Metaphorosis: Beautifully Made Speculative Fiction, edited by B.
Morris Allen, Neskowin: Metaphorosis Publishing, May 2021. Pp. 91–128.
- “The General’s Chair.” Boned. Web. 9 April 2019. Republished in Boned Every Which
Way: A Collection of Skeletal Literature 2019, edited by Nate Ragolia, Denver: Spaceboy
Books, 2020. Pp. 77–98.
- “Obliviol: A Once-a-Day Pill for Drug-Anxiety Induced Agitation, Anxiety, Apprehension,
and Horror.” The Metaworker. Web. 31 December 2018.
- “The Erasure.” Here Comes Everyone, “The Tomorrow Issue,” volume 7, issue 1 (2018):
- Republished in Metastellar: Speculative Fiction and Beyond. Web. 18 June 2021.
- “With Them.” In My Utopia: A Collection of Creative Writing, edited by Ruzbeh Babei. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018, 11–13, 2018.
- “Orientation Packet for Gotham City Taxi Drivers.” Co-authored with Katherine Ann
Davis. Punchnel’s. Web. 9 May 2016.
Read more Faculty Profiles