Please note the following procedures that are in place for international travel. Please review carefully, as there have been some changes in process (i.e., new Technology Form) and deadlines. Thank you.

WCU International Travel Approval Forms

As always, all West Chester University personnel traveling internationally (outside of the contiguous United States: this includes Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico, Canada, and Mexico) must receive approval prior to travel and in writing by the Center for International Programs and both the Provost and the University President. There are two key steps and forms to fill out, as in the past. Both of these forms must be submitted to the Center for International Programs at least 4-6 weeks prior to travel. Contact the Center for International Programs (x3515 or

E-mail International Programs

) if you have any questions.

Note: All Faculty or Staff led study abroad programs (credit or non-credit, sports, club, and music performances etc.) that involve students traveling internationally must be in communication 6-8 months prior to departure with

Dr. Vishal Shah

in the Center for International Programs. A program proposal form is required.

International Travel Authorization Form (Important Changes)

The international travel authorization is now an online fillable form (see link above for access to the form).The new online form will still need to be printed and contain hand signatures from all necessary approvers. Please review the following steps below as it has changed due to the new form.

  1. Required fields on the new form include:
    • Source of funding for the trip (SAP Cost Center). Check with your Dept. Chair or business manager for your college for the correct SAP number.
    • The total dollar amount approved for the trip. If you are not using University funds for your trip, you will have the option to declare that.
  2. Attach a one page justification from one of the suggested items below:
    • A previously developed itemized estimation of costs (i.e. flight, hotel, conference registration, transportation, meals or per diem, etc.), with a description of the event for international travel.
    • Or, an acceptance letter (e-mail) if presenting a paper, holding a talk, attending a conference, etc.
    • Or, a short narrative of an international program/event you are attending (if you have documentation via e-mail or invitation, please include).
    • Or, any other justification you feel supports the purpose of the trip (leading a faculty/staff led study abroad program, developing an international partnership, participating in and international event).

Please take note of the following:

  • The traveler should prepare the authorization form at least 4-6 weeks before departure, and before any reservations are made (if University funds will be used). The authorization form is required regardless of the source of funds for the trip. If the authorization form is received in the Provost/President Office after the traveler has departed, travel will not be approved and expenses will not be reimbursed.
  • A fully signed and completed international travel authorization form will be emailed directly to the faculty or staff member as well as the Dean or Director’s office.

Technology Control Plan Form

This form should be signed only by you and

e-mailed directly to International Programs


PASSHE and WCU developed procedures that will ensure that each of the System schools is in compliance with Federal government regulations regarding Embargo and Export Controls (see PASSHE’s Export Control Website.The Center for International Programs, WCU's Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) and the Information Services (IS) has developed a Technology Control Plan that will ensure your international travel compliance with Export Control Laws. WCU employees traveling overseas are required to review and sign the Technology Control Plan Form(s) . The traveler is the only person that signs this form and it is

e-mailed directly to International Programs.

Personal or university issued smart phones are considered “technology/equipment”.

As a general rule of thumb:

  1. If traveling on university business, AND carrying university technology/equipment, you are required to fill out both the “TMP” and “BAG” Forms.
  2. If traveling on university business, but carrying personal equipment, you are required to only fill out the one form labeled “BAG”.

The federal rules require all travelers ensure that sensitive digital research data is appropriately protected. If you believe you are traveling with sensitive digital research data or to an embargoed country, the IS Division will need at least a two week notice to review the software and data contained on the laptop (or any other technical device) being taken out of the country. If you have any questions, please contact the University Designated Officer (UDO) for IS - Mr. JT Singh. He may be

reached by e-mail

or Voice: (610) 436-1045.

Travel Reimbursement Process and New Travel Voucher Form

In an effort to streamline the travel reimbursement process and make the process easier for the campus community, Accounts Payable developed and implemented a new travel voucher form. OTE: This form is for both domestic and international travel. The form is now an online fillable form which will “do the math” for you with respect to per diems, provide links to important information and provide guidance with the travel regulations. The old excel formatted formhas been removed from our webpage and should not be used for travel reimbursement. The new online form will still need to be printed and contain hand signatures from all necessary approvers.

  • Upon return, submit the travel voucher form to the appropriate offices to obtain all of therequired signatures: Department Chair/Manager, Dean/Director, and if needed, Provost or VP, and President.
  • Itemized original receipts must accompany the signed travel vouchers
  • Additional signatures may be required.

Additional signatures may be required by the Associate Vice President of Sponsored Research if funding is provided by a Federal granting agency or by the local Faculty Grants Development (FGD) Committee. The AVP for international programs does not need to sign the reimbursement form upon return unless the CIP office is contributing funds to the trip.

*** Accounts Payable is also able to reimburse travelers via ACH (direct deposit). Once released, an ACH reimbursement takes two business days and is posted to your account as cash. No more trips to the bank. You will be notified when Accounts Payable releases your ACH payment via email. You will know when to expect it, the amount, and if you travel frequently on University business, which trips are being reimbursed. To register for ACH complete the ACH Authorization for Employee form. ***

Back to top of page.