About Focus Areas
As part of your B.A. in English degree, you will complete at least one four-course focus area. Focus areas are designed to allow you to take a deep dive into a corner of the diverse field of English Studies. You may also take a second four-course focus as part of your degree. Currently, you can choose from nine focus areas:
- Archives, Power, and Making the Present
- Creativity, Aesthetics, and Design
- Identity and Representation
- National and Transnational Cultures
- Popular Culture and Cultural Studies
- Public and Professional Writing
- Social Justice and Activism
- Sustainability and Environmental Humanities
- Visual and Digital Rhetoric
You can also create your own focus area in close consultation with your advisor.
For more information about the focus areas, please consult the BA English Program page.