For a complete list of courses please refer to the Course Catalog.
The LALS Minor is completed with 18 credits and can include:
- Courses in your major
- Courses that fulfill your General Education requirements
- Study Abroad courses
West Chester University’s minor in Latin American and Latinx Studies (LALS) is an interdisciplinary program that provides students with a foundation across two or more disciplines in the studies of the peoples of the region of Latin America and/or of those of Latinx" heritage in the United States. The LALS prepares students for immersion in a global community and helps them develop a cultural competence. The program is articulated by faculty in the departments of Anthropology, Applied Music, English, Geography, History, Languages and Cultures, Political Science, Sociology, and Social Work, across three colleges.
- Customize your 18-credit program between two or more of the disciplines of your preference
- Compatible with any major
- Use approved culture clusters and general requirements (including ESP, ANT, AES, DAN, LIT, GEO, HIS, PSC, SOC, SWO) or study abroad credits towards the minor
- Use up to 6 Spanish Language (SPA) credits towards the minor
- Incorporate a global edge of cultural competency to your CV or Resumè
Wat Can I Do with this Minor?
A minor in Latin American and Latinx Studies (LALS) sets students apart from peers as culturally mindful in an increasingly integrated world. For students are looking for a competitive edge to launch a global career or for those seeking a deeper understanding of Latinx culture, a LALS minor positions students for future success on the global stage.
Although not yet formally included in the advising sheet, the following courses can also count towards the minor:
- ESP 310: Latin American Narrative from the European Conquest to the 1930s
- ESP 316: Latin-American Avant-Garde and Mass Media
These courses can be approved depending on the semester topic:
- SOC 335: Racial and Cultural Minorities (with Dr. Miguel Ceballos; consult approval with LALS Director prior to enrollment)
- ENG 400: Topics include: The Genre of Chica Lit; Latin@s in Literature and Popular Culture;...(contact Dr. Emily Aguiló-Pérez and Dr. Yanira Rodriguez for info on ENG offerings that can be approved for the minor.)