Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered an international student at West Chester University?

Apply as an international student if you are not considered a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States.

What academic programs are offered at West Chester University?

Is there an international student ORIENTATION program?

New International Student Orientation is mandatory for all international students and is very beneficial for a successful transition into West Chester University. Don’t forget to let us know when you will arrive by reserving your place for Orientation.

Are there jobs available for international students?

Part-time student jobs are listed on West Chester University’s Career Development Website. International student workers may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic semester.

Is housing available for international students?

Yes.  Learn more about West Chester University’s on campus housing options.

How do I apply?

Where can I find out information about tuition at West Chester University?

Information about West Chester university tuition, billing, payments and other services are available online or by calling 610-436-2552.

How can I apply for a Form I-20?

How long does it take to receive an I-20 form?

Once you have paid your deposit and submitted the required documents, an I-20 will be emailed to you via your WCU email address.

Can I expedite the shipment of the I-20 form?

Yes, you may request that the I-20 form be sent by express mail. Requesting the document through express mail is at your expense and your credit card will be charged upon requesting this service. If you choose this option, you will need your WCUID number, email address, phone number, mailing address and a valid credit card (Visa, Mastercard or Discover cards only).

**Please note, we are currently NOT mailing I-20s. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we are able to email via secure platform, therefore your I-20 will be sent to your WCU email account.

How do I transfer an I-20 to West Chester University from another U.S. institution?

If you are currently studying in the U.S. with non-immigrant student status, ask your current school to transfer your SEVIS record to West Chester University. Note that SEVIS records cannot be transferred to West Chester University until you have been officially accepted into the university.

What is the SEVIS fee?

SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) is a result of the 1996 Immigration Act, which mandated that a fee should be charged to all new F-1 and J-1 visa holders in order to fund the federal student and scholar database.

Do I need health insurance?

For your safety, West Chester University requires all international students with non-immigrant student (F-1 or J1) status to maintain health insurance that meets the minimum standard as determined by the U.S. Department of State. In addition, the U.S. Department of State requires that all individuals in Exchange Visitor (J-1) status also meet the minimum insurance requirement.

How early can I enter the U.S. before school starts?

The U.S. government allows international students to enter the country as early as 30 days before the program start date indicated on your I-20/DS 2019.

I have a complicated immigration issue. Who should I contact?

West Chester University’s Global Engagement Office is the best place to get help with complicated immigration issues. For additional information about immigration services in the United States, visit the U.S Citizen and Immigration Services website.

How do I apply for a student visa?

The best way to apply for your student is to contact a U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country.

What documents do I need to enter the United States?

  • Passport (valid for at least 6 months into the future)
  • F-1 or J-1 Visa (Canadian citizens exempt)
  • SEVIS Form I-20 (F-1) or DS-2019 (J-1)
  • SEVIS fee receipt
  • Supporting financial documentation
  • Proof of course registration

It is also recommended to review the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) travel FAQs before coming into the U.S. Students must be prepared to complete forms about items being brought into the U.S.

Back to top of page.