Requesting PA Residency

Please be aware that the deadline to request a change of residency is at the end of the add/drop period for the current semester. 

Required Forms

  1. Residency Classification Data Collection Form - Complete, Signed, and Notarized
  2. Federal, State, and Local Tax Returns - Signed and Dated
    • Students aged 21 years old or YOUNGER - Submit your parents' tax returns
    • Students aged 22 years old or OLDER - Submit your tax returns
  3. Letter from student explaining domicile change since original classification
  4. Letter from parents explaining domicile change since original classification - Notarized 
    • Only required if student's domicile is tied to their parent(s)
  5. Copy of current lease or mortgage as proof of PA residency
  6. Copy of PA driver's license, auto insurance, and registration
  7. Proof of PA bank account OR written explanation of why bank account is out-of-state
  8. Copy of voter registration card

Additional Forms

  • If you are 21 or YOUNGER and your parents DO NOT reside in PA:
    • Parent(s) must provide a NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT stating facts to establish financial independence and separate residence.
  • If you are NOT a U.S. Citizen:
    • You must provide copies of all information pertaining to your immigration status.

Student FAQs

How is "domicile" (residency) defined?

"Domicile" is a legal term that is defined as the place where an individual intends to remain and live permanently or indefinitely. It is the place where a person intends to return to after any absence. A person may live in a place for temporary purposes, such as a vacation or attending college. Once the goal of the temporary purpose is accomplished, however, the person does not intend to remain in that place. Since the person's presence is only for temporary reasons, the individual cannot be considered an in-state resident for tuition purposes. 

How is residency determined?

Each change in domicile request is reviewed carefully and the student’s situation is compared to the residency policies set forth by PASSHE (Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education) .

What are the chances of having my residency changed?

Each student situation is unique.  The key is to document as much about your residency situation as possible so that you can show you are and have been a Pennsylvania resident.  Documentation is power!

Do I really need to have my documents notarized?

Yes, you must have your Residency Data Collection Form notarized as well as other documents that you may ask others to write on your behalf to prove your independence or residency in PA.  This is how we validate those documents are valid.

How long does it take to make a decision?

It takes a few weeks for a complete review.  Please allow up to 30 days for your documentation to be reviewed thoroughly.

How do I know if my change in residency has been granted?

After your documentation has been reviewed, the Registrar’s Office sends you a letter in the mail informing you of the decision.  We utilize the mailing address that you include on your Residency Classification Data Collection Form.

If I missed something, will you reach out?

Yes, if we feel something is missing from your documentation we will reach out.  Please note, this can delay the review of your documents.  It’s in your best interest to submit everything at once – your notarized Residency Classification Data Collection Form and all supporting documents to show your domicile is in PA.

Where can I send my documentation?

All documents can be emailed to or mailed to: 

West Chester University
Office of the Registrar
25 University Ave
West Chester, PA 19383

Is there a deadline to request a change in residency?

Yes, the deadline is the end of the add/drop period for the current semester.

I'm waiting on a residency decision, but have a tuition bill due - what should I do?

Students should not delay their tuition bills because residency under review.  Instead, you should work out payment plan with Bursar while waiting a decision.  If your residency request is granted, Bursar is notified and adjusts your tuition accordingly.


Back to top of page.