View Text Only Version

Vice Provost

General FAQs

Contact Us  

Vice Provost

Philips Memorial Hall, Room 008
700 South High Street
West Chester, PA 19383

Dr. Jeffery L. Osgood, Jr.
Vice Provost and Dean of Graduate Studies

Andrea Grinwis
Assistant to the Vice Provost

General FAQs

Please view the Probation and Dismissal page for all questions regarding:

  • Academic Recovery Plans (ARP)
  • Academic Dismissal
  • Academic Probation

Please visit the Academic Advising's General Education, Majors, and Minors page for all questions regarding:

  • General Education Requirements
  • Writing Emphasis Requirements
  • Diversity Requirements
  • Foreign Languages and Culture Clusters


When should I apply for graduation?

You should apply at least 2 full semesters before you intend to graduate. This gives you at least 2 semesters to correct any deficiencies in your General Education Requirements.

How do I know if I will have any problems meeting graduation requirements?

A Graduation Analyst in the Registrar's Office will review your transcripts using your Degree Progress Report. Any problems with General Education Requirements will be noted. The Graduation Analyst will send an email to your WCU email account to let you know what problems have been found.

If you haven't received an email from the Graduation Analyst go to the Degree Progress Report:
In the middle of the report, there are Advisor's Comments. The Graduation Analyst's comments will most likely be the most recent posting. If there are no comments listed, be sure to stop into the Registrar's Office to make sure you have officially applied for graduation.

I went through the graduation ceremony, but then I was told I hadn't graduated. How can that be?

Your final grades aren't actually calculated until after commencement. If, at that time, it is discovered that you did not receive the necessary GPA or if you did not fulfill all the requirements for your major, you will need to resolve those issues. This may mean returning for another semester of classes or taking a course elsewhere, depending on the issue. Your graduation is not confirmed by the ceremony but by the diploma, which you will receive in the mail a few weeks after commencement.

Are all students with the necessary GPA eligible for graduation honors?

No. Students must complete 60 credits at WCU by their final semester to be eligible to have the honors designation on their final transcript.

Withdrawing from Courses

What is the difference between a drop and a withdrawal? Will a withdrawal affect my GPA?

Students have the option to drop classes during the Add/Drop period at the beginning of the semester. The Drop period ends on the sixth calendar day of the semester. A class that is dropped will not appear on an official transcript.

The Withdrawal period stretches from the seventh calendar day of the semester until the 9th week of classes. During that time, students may withdraw from one class, multiple classes, or from the entire semester. A course that has been withdrawn will appear on an official transcript with a "W" beside it, signifying that the course was withdrawn and no grade was received. A withdrawal does not affect a student's GPA in any way.

Can I withdraw from a single course after the Withdrawal period ends or on the last day of classes?

You may not withdraw from a single course after the Withdrawal period has ended. You can only complete a term withdrawal at that point. A Term Withdrawal is a complete withdrawal, removing you from all classes.

You cannot withdrawal on the last day of classes. Even the term withdrawal period expires. Check the Academic Calendar for detailed information.